Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Success - the favorable or prosperous termination of attempts or endeavors.

I started working a, legitimate; collect a pay check, on the books job, when I was 16. I got my working papers and applied at A.C. Moore, I got the job. Since my start as a cashier I have held many titles; veterinary assistant, dance teacher, child care provider, waitress, shampoo girl, hair and make-up stylist, after school program supervisor, special education assistant, pre-k teacher, and CAD designer/drafter.
When discussing career options you are often asked, "What are you good at?" To this question a confused look would wash over my face and many things would come to mind but, never just one thing. So, my answer would be, "I don't know", or "Well, it's hard to say". With those answers the next question would usually be “What do you like to do?” Again, there are so many things I could list but in terms of careers not one could stand alone and satisfy me.
When you're little people ask, "What do you want to be when you grow up?” This one was easy, "A Mommy!” I would reply as if it were an obvious answer. As I got older my answer never changed but expanded to include the title of Wife after realizing the two should go hand in hand.
As I sit now in my home listening to my husband snore and my son grunt in his sleep I feel completely satisfied. I finally have a job I love. I have a wonderful “coworker”, the most adorable “client” (thinking about adding a few more), a great office, and the most amazing boss (God!). On a daily basis I get to do almost all the things I like and utilize the things I’m good at. I don’t dread Mondays or wait until Friday to breathe easy. I no longer set my alarm and cringe. I look forward to tomorrow and all I have to do. I take pride in seeing my short term goals met in home-cooked meals and a clean house. I am motivated by my long term goals such as raising children that will contribute to society and God’s kingdom in a positive way. I am grateful for the work my husband does and for his support in what I do and I am thankful for a mother who never questioned my career choice.
I have obtained what I set out to achieve, marriage and motherhood, and I look forward to everything they will bring.

3 comments:

  1. Liz,
    You have me in tears this is so beautiful. God has blessed you in a wonderful way with words. You describe your life as a blessing which is so awesome. Thank you for your words of wisdom. I being a mother of 3 lost that joy along time ago, but your words have caused a refreshing in my spirit. I need to strive to make each day better than the one before. Its not always gonna be sunshine and roses but I need to look at each situation and handle things just a little bit better than the one before. Again, Thank you for your words of encouragement, You taught me something today.
    Love you girl
    monica

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you are happy. Stop listening to me snore! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You took the words right out of my mouth, Lizz. Very well said. My answer to the question " what do you want to be when you grow up?" was always "a mom" too. I used to think it sounded like I had no goals or like I was an unacheiver but, now I know that the only title I will ever be proud of is MOM. There's nothing more important in life. It is the most important job on the planet and, to be honest, I personally think it's the toughest job in the world. I like to give myself the title of CEO of the Helms household.

    ReplyDelete